[TowerTalk] Rohn 45 fold over questions

To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45 fold over questions
From: "Stargate" <stargatesg1@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 18:48:25 -0400
Hi all,
        I'm in the process of getting my tower parts together and plan to make
it a
ground level fold over.
It's going to be a short tower with a 9' top section. I figure no more than
40' total not including
mast. More than likely, it will be 2 straight sections and a top section
which would be about 29' total.
I figure the mast should be about 15'-16' long. This would give me enough
mast to go to the
2nd rung from the top of the tower for the AZ rotor, and 1/4 (or better)
wavelength of distance between the
6m beam, and the 2m beam, (the longest of the 2) even if pointed up at 90
degrees. I will have
ARR preamps mounted at the top of the tower before the rotating mast.

        The tower is going to be for a homebrew 3-4 element 6 meter beam and an
M2
2MCP22 and M2 436CP42UG.
I will be using a Yaesu G-5500 rotor in a split configuration with the AZ
rotor inside the tower
and the EL rotor at the top. The tower will also be supported by a house
bracket at the top of my deck.
The floor of my deck is about 10' off the ground so the house bracket will
be at about 13' on the tower.
The deck posts are 6"x6" and the deck is about 4 years old so it is VERY
sturdy.

        Anyway, the first problem I have is the base plate. It's a Rohn concrete
plate #BPC45G which uses a pier pin.
I plan to convert it to a BPH45G fold over plate by some cutting and welding
unless I can find someone
that has a BPH45G to do some trading with.

1-      Does anyone have a site showing the dimensions of the Rohn fold over
base? The plans I have seen on the
Rohn site just give usage type info, not dimensions.

2-      What mast pipe thickness should I go for? The vertical load limit for
the rotor is 440lbs so I don't
think I will approach that. I considered a thrust bearing, but I don't think
it's really needed for this
application.

3-      How big of a hole do I need for this short of a tower with this much

All suggestions are welcome even if you see a mistake I am considering.
Nobody is perfect except for
my wife. hihi

Thanks to all,
RoD
KD0XX

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail,
A TRUE friend will be sitting next to you saying.....

"DAMN THAT WAS FUN"