[TowerTalk] HFTA interpretation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] HFTA interpretation
From: Peter Dougherty <w2irt@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 00:23:07 -0400
Hi all,

Now that I'm becoming quite comfortable with HFTA and MicroDEM, I
have a very practical question that's been bugging me for a few days.

At 20 degrees I have a clean shot terrain-wise. At 40, I'm hitting a
hill and at 60 degrees (i.e. straight-on at Europe), it's a
full-fledged mountain, with much higher-angles coming into play. I've
plotted 20/30/45/60 degrees in HFTA, and the low-angle performance is
significantly worse at 60.

What I'm wondering, using a 3el antenna at 72 feet, if I'm hunting
Europe, am I better off beaming 20-30 degrees to make better use of
low-angle signals to my tower (but being 30-40 degrees off short
path), or should I just forget about the low-angle issue and go for
the directivity/gain of the antenna itself?

Cheers,

Peter,
W2IRT