Re: [TowerTalk] elevated radials vertical

To: <>, "Mike K9MI" <>,<>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] elevated radials vertical
From: "Tom Rauch" <>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 19:22:23 -0400
> Consider this, if you ground mount the Hustler you will
> need to bury a
> minimum of 2000 feet of wire and even that won't compare
> to the
> performance he will see at 30 feet with just 2 radials per
> band. Trust
> me I know this from experience.

I agree a good ground 30 feet up is much better in the face
of local clutter, and that a ground system isn't really
elevated until it is up a good fraction of a wavelength, but
I don't understand the minimum 2000 feet of wire.

20-30 radials 40-50 ft long would be within a fraction of a
dB of a perfect ground on 80 through ten meters, and people
can compromise a bit less than that and not notice it.

I use 100 radials on the 200ft tower I use on 160 but that
was largely overkill. The gain flattens out here at about 30
radials on 80 and 40 meters, and about 40  radials on 160.

73 Tom