Re: [TowerTalk] Where is the best place to buy aluminum tubing?

To: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@pclink.com>,<TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Where is the best place to buy aluminum tubing?
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 14:46:14 -0400
I built a W2PV 4el 20 using 40' (two 20' lengths) of 3" irrigation tubing.
Spliced in the center using about 18" of Schedule 40 aluminum pipe. Also
used some 3" scrap from the supplier that I cut into 6" lengths, slit
lengthwise and slid over the boom. This provided extra crush strength for
the element plate U bolts. Boom support was Phillystran. Elements used 1
1/8" thru 1/2" tubing with a rather severe taper; sag was minimal and it
rode many severe winds and ice storms with ease.

This antenna survived about 19 years at 2 QTH's with no damage. It will
probably go up again this summer on a different tower.

Carl
KM1H