Re: [TowerTalk] twisted pair capacitance

To: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@optonline.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] twisted pair capacitance
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:11:06 -0400
> Tom's right.  What you were thinking of is telco cable,
> where the pairs are twisted for a distance, then twisted
> in the REVERSE direction for an equal distance.  the
> result
> is that at audio frequencies, the net capacitance is
> reduced.

No, the net capacitance is increased. The cross talk to
other pairs is reduced, but that's a  parallel transmission
line effect between pairs. Twisting improves balance but it
always increases capacitance between wires in the pair
because it holds them closer together. Twisting back and
forth in opposite directions on parallel pairs reduces cross
talk further because no wire in one pair lays next to a wire
in another pair for any distance or in any repeating
fashion.

It was very common in radios to use a pair of wires to make
a small adjustable capacitor. My first BFO to copy CW was a
twisted pair with one conductor on the anode and one on the
grid of a 12SK7 IF amplifier in an All American 5 AC-DC
receiver. Untwist it without getting shocked and it became a
Q multiplier.

73 Tom