Re: [TowerTalk] Where is the best place to buy aluminum tubing?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Where is the best place to buy aluminum tubing?
From: k3bu@optonline.net
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:16:56 +0000 (GMT)
> Looking for some small 1"1/4 inside diameter to go on the bottom
> of some spreaders and some 3" to 4" boom stuff
> for some long booms.
> Wonder how long of a boom can be made from 3" aluminum tubing.
> Looking at a 60ft boom.
> Wonder if anyone has played with small aluminum tower for a
> boom. Does anyone make stuff smaller then 20G.
> I guess aluminum irragation aluminum pipe could work, anyone
> tried that before.
> Looking for some input.
>
> Jack
> KZ4USA

On the booms, I had 62 ft booms for my Razors, they were tapered, starting in
the middle with, if I remember correctly, 3.5" dia and 1/4 wall and tapering
down, telescoping towards the ends. I had only one guy using philistran.
Mounting plate was attached to the center piece with small mast to support the
guy. Then the whole thing was lifted and mounted on the Bertha.
Some pictures at http://www.k3bu.us/razor_beams.htm

Cheapest source of variety of aluminum tubing are the old antennas and junk
yards. Otherwise new stuff, telescoping I bought from Texas Towers.

GL & 73  Yuri, K3BU.us