Re: [TowerTalk] step away from steppir, Son

To: Bob Maser <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] step away from steppir, Son
From: "R. Kevin Stover" <>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:39:40 -0500

Bob Maser wrote:
> If you have a copy of YO it is very easy to see what effect element spacing
> has on gain and f/b.  If you optimize it on 15 for example and then move to
> 20 and keep the element spacing the same as it was for 15, you will see that
> only changing element lengths will significantly compromise the performance
> on 20, and vice versa.  Also, I am not knowledgeable as to how the SteppIr
> "optimizing" works.  Does it merely tune every element for f/b or gain or
> swr?  With YO you can select what % to allocate for gain, f/b and feedpoint
> impedance.  Does SteppIR's program allow the user to do this?  I honestly
> don't know.
> Bob  W6TR

The SteppIR antenna configurations are stored in the controller. There
are 51 "antennas" stored in memory in the controller. These antennas
we're designed using YO-Pro and EZNEC, and verified on Fluid Motions
test range. Test height was 48'. I believe I read that the antennas
stored in memory were optimized for gain and F/B at the expense of SWR
bandwidth since the antenna is "tunable" anywhere in the band.

The user is free to design his/her own Yagi's by modifying the default
element lengths.

- --
R. Kevin Stover, ACØH
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)