[TowerTalk] Ferrite Balun on a LPDA?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ferrite Balun on a LPDA?
From: "Clint Talmadge" <>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:00:01 -0500
I am close to putting my Tennadyne T-6 back up. When I took it down it had the
prescribed Coax Balun on it and it showed it's age. For the last month or so I
have had the antenna on a short perch in the yard with a Ferrite Bead Balun on
it and it sweeps fine using an analyzer and I have even made a few DX contacts
on it. The balun I am using is a W2AU by Unadilla. I have searched different
archives and the only one with any significant information is one I started on
eHam some years ago.The old Tennadyne maker specifically said he had not tested
a ferrite balun and did not recommend them. The reasons I would like to use the
Ferrite Balun are:

Lower profile - less wind resistance
Longer life - better built than my taped Coax Balun
Better Balance - the antenna is much closer to being balanced (weight wise)
with the Ferrite Balun

There is precious little written about feeding LPDAs. What little I have read
does not address this.

I am open to suggestions as the antenna will not go up till some time in early

Clint - W5CPT