Re: [TowerTalk] Balun question shield leakage

To: "Tom Rauch" <>,"Jim Brown" <>,"Tower Talk List" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun question shield leakage
From: "jeremy-ca" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:32:14 -0400
> That all makes sense Carl, and I certainly don't dispute
> what you saw, but respectfully this is what gets many of us
> into trouble in understanding how systems work.
> Without really  measuring anything, including or especially
> cable leakage, the entire cable and all the connectors on
> the cable with a different type of cable and fresh
> connectors and a problem went away. All we really know from
> that is the entire cable system was replaced and after it
> was replaced the problem went away.
> We don't really know if the cable was defective, what the
> leakage levels were, if it was the connectors, if the shield
> was broken or damaged, or if the cable was manufactured to
> be junk.

I didnt want to belabor the forum with all the details last night and my
time was limited.

As mentioned we also carried a leakage tester and that was used extensively
while also isolating decks and sections of the network. Our initial thought
was that a bad section or connectors were at fault. No such luck. Lousy
cable, good connector assembly. I took some cable back with me for Show &
Tell but then it went into the trash; there were too many projects under
development to waste time on past history as my boss was fond of saying.