Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Consult

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Dick, W1KSZ" <w1ksz@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Consult
From: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:26:26 -0500 (CDT)
Dick:

      I went with a self-supporting Trylon myself six years ago.  I had almost
no choice but to go with a non-guyed tower; my back yard is very small and the
guys would have been draped over the house.  Ugly.

     However, I had no trouble having the base excavated by a backhoe operator
for a small fee.  The rebard cage was easy to build and to install and the ten
yards of concrete (I overdid the hole a bit) filled the excavation in a half an
hour.

     Had I gone with the guyed tower, I would have had to dig three more holes,
ensuring they were in the proper place relative to the tower base.  The guy
wires would have been another issue to contend with (I would have needed two
sets of guys for my 65-70 foot tower.)

     When I installed my antennas, I had two Hams (myself and N3RR) climb it
with no problem.  We had plenty of room atop to work safely.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F