Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Cadwelding and grounding nightmare

To: "Ron Todd" <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Cadwelding and grounding nightmare
From: "Sadtip" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:02:08 -0400
Hi all,
        I have shot ALLOT of Cadwelds while I was working for Norfolk Southern
Railway and will add
my .02 worth.....

        Cadwelds/Oneshots are great but just make absolutely sure the mold is
down on
the rod till the molds metal inserts touch the top of the ground rod. Then
insert the ground wire
""OF THE CORRECT SIZE"" for the shot you are using until the tips of the
wires are touching
inside of the mold. I emphasize ""OF THE CORRECT SIZE"" since using a wire
of smaller diameter
than the inserts/mold is made for will most times result in the molten metal
flowing out through
the gaps. It goes without saying to plug any unused wire holes in the mold
with short stubs of ground
        I have had success using Oneshots with the wrong sized diameter wire
(boss ordered the
wrong shot:-) (#6 shots and #8 wire) by cutting 4-8 small pieces of the
ground wire and pouring
them into the mold BEFORE inserting the powder cup.
This just adds some extra material that will melt and can run out during
The one thing I will stress heavily is....

Make sure there is no strain tending to pull the wire from the hole before
If there is any tension pulling the wire from the mold, when you fire it,
is a very good chance that the ground wire will pop out when it melts and
there goes
the shot. When we first started using them, we figured this out pretty

        I would guess I have shot 500+ of these critters over the years and
really isn't anything better on the market.
They even make a reusable magnetic mold to shoot to flat surfaces such as
steel building
walls or tower structures. That way you have nothing clamped anywhere.

I almost forgot. If the wires are bent slightly when trying to insert into
the mold,
DON'T try to bend the wires while inside the mold inserts to get them to
touch in the
center of the mold. Doing so will most likely crack/break the ceramic mold
in the

On a side note, we also used a similar mold to electrically BOND sections of
rail together at railroad crossings to provide the crossing equipment a
unchanging signal up and down the rail. If we were called out on a crossing
was activating with no train on the circuit, most times it would be a broken
Cadweld bond of some type. They also use Cadwelds in mines to provide
voltage into
the mines via the tracks for lighting and such.

The last part is not really on topic, but came to mind and thought I would
share. :-)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail,
A TRUE friend will be sitting next to you saying.....