Re: [TowerTalk] Cadwelding and grounding nightmare, continued

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cadwelding and grounding nightmare, continued
From: Peter Dougherty <w2irt@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 20:03:22 -0400
>Actually, the stuff you need to seal cadwelds is made by cadweld and is
>called "Mold Sealer"  part # T-403.  It's a heavy putty that doesn't allow
>molten metal to flow outside the mold.

I'll see if I can get some.

I ran into another real problem today. Well, TWO problems, actually.

1) I have **extremely** rocky soil. For most of where my ground wires
run I can't get an edger blade in more than 1/2 an inch to an inch!!
How can I even hope to accomplish a ground with this kind of soil?
What if I just dump 2" of earth on top of the wire and put down grass seed?

2) After trying for 3+ hours, one strategically-placed ground rod
would only go in on a 45 degree angle. I tried a cadweld shot on
there and it just ran out the side hole in the mould, melted RIGHT
THROUGH the wire and, when it all cooled down, I had two wire ends
and a heap of slag in the hole, and the thin wire from the mold
welded to the top of the rod. It was NOT possible to drive that rod
in anywhere within 5' vertically.

Cheers,

Peter,
W2IRT