[TowerTalk] Tower Insulators

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Insulators
From: "James Bloomfield" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:52:21 -0400

    I plan to install a 90 ft. vertical Rohn 25 that is fed with two 'L'
networks for 160 and 80 meters.

    This is described in Low-Band DXing by John Devoldere ON4UN.

    I think I can do everything necessary except I have not been able to
find insulators for the base of the tower.  There was one commercial source
but they wanted $300.00.

    This is a 'budget' project.  The towers were acquired by taking down
"TV" towers that were no longer in use.  The Coax is commercial hardline
purchased for $30.00  (260 ft!)

    The only 'plan' that I have is to build 6 metal disc welded to rods that
fit inside the tower legs.  They would be insulated with Lexan and bolted
together in such a way that the bolts would also be insulated.  I have some
1/2 inch lexan - from a flee market.

    I am aware that Rohn made insulators for the tower legs but they are no
longer available.

    Ideas and opinions are needed and welcome.

    Jim Bloomfield

    On the Suwannee River