Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical Lightning Protection

To: "William B. Stacy" <wstacy@wildblue.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical Lightning Protection
From: "Kent Winrich" <kwinrich@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 07:26:58 -0400
Being in the broadcast industry, I would say BOTH.  There are so many times
when the spark gap saved my transmitters.  It will spark even with a strike
miles away.  IMHO the choke will bleed off the slow build up but the gap
will take the fast strikes (and near by strikes).  I do not know of any AM
station tower that does not have a spark gap.  (actually multiple spark
gaps)

Also, there is a great article on lighting protection is this trade
publication:  http://www.radio-guide.com/issues/RG-MAY-2007.pdf

Kent Winrich, K9EZ/4/lid/B0ZO
Fuquay-Varina, NC