[TowerTalk] Crimp or Solder

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crimp or Solder
From: Peter Dougherty <w2irt@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:39:45 -0400
>From: <ab7r@cablespeed.com>
>
>I recently read some comments elsewhere that a well-crimped
>connector is just as
>good, but wondering what you all think before I try it.  I'm not
>talking about the
>tool that crimps regular connectors designed for soldering as I hear
>the tend to
>crack the connector. But I am talking about the ratcheted type that
>leaves a hex
>shaped-crimp on a connecter designed for it.  I would do this with
>both 9913 Davis
>buryflex and LMR-240 UF.

Crimped, for sure. For PL-259s I use two tools to do the job
perfectly, in about a minute or so. I do my cable prep with a UT-8000
cable prep tool available from DX Engineering for $40. I do the crimp
connectors with the appropriate jaws in a ratcheting crimp tool that
I bought from Joel at the RF Connection. There are two sets of jaws -
one for RG-213/RG-8 sized cable (.405) and one for both RG-8X and
RG-58. Tool and two jaws are around $75 if memory serves. Joel also
sells the crimp connectors.

You will NOT go wrong with this method. Shield-to-connector-body
connection is even, tough and reliable (not four pin-holes of
varying-quality solder work, and there's no risk of center insulation
deformation that you might encounter by overheating with conventional
connectors.

Expensive, yes, but worth every penny. Wish I'd made the switch a LOT
sooner in my hamming career!

Cheers,

Peter,
W2IRT