Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp or Solder

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp or Solder
From: "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 16:36:48 -0700
So, where can I find a stripper that will correctly strip my coax?

I just switched to crimping about 2 months ago because I've had too
many problems with poorly soldered PL-259's.  It's gonna cost me about
$200 next week to rent a lift so I can replace a bad feed to my 40m
yagi.  I'm 99% certain it is another bad solder job on the PL-259.

I bought 20 crimp-on PL-259's and a stripper a couple of months ago
from www.rfparts.com.  I'm borrowing a friend's crimper.  The problem
is that I can't seem to adjust the stripper to properly strip the
coax.  I'm using 9913F cable.  The stripper is part #RFA-4087.  It was
an expensive stripper and the documentation suggests that it can be
adjusted and is suitable for 9913.  Unfortunately, I can't figure out
how to adjust it to fit the connectors they sold me.  Essentially, I
need 3 "strips", right?  I need it to strip all the way down to the
center conductor, then nother strip that retains the dialectric, but
cuts away the braid and finally a third cut that only cuts the outside
jacket.  I see no way to do this with this stripper.  I improvised and
used the stripper for 2 of the 3 cuts, but then I had to do the rest
by hand.  Certainly not worth the money I paid for it.  Is there a
better one?