Re: [TowerTalk] alternative to concrete stubs for Trylon tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com, rob.katz@thelegacycenter.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] alternative to concrete stubs for Trylon tower
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 21:51:32 EDT

In a message dated 7/5/2007 12:36:57 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I have a Trylon 72' tower that I'm installing this summer,  and I have
the "base foot weldments" (these are feet that bolt to the  bottom
tower section and then bolt to rod that is sunk in the ground).
While these feet are usually used to anchor into rock, can they be
used with a concrete foundation?  If they can, then I have some
questions about using them.

    You betcha. Anchor rods and foot flanges are  pretty common for
self-supporting towers of many ilks.

>   Would it work to encase the anchor bolts in the foundation when it is
poured, or do I need to drill holes into solid concrete and epoxy in
the bolts?

    It's sure much easier and cheaper to have them in  the concrete when you
pour. Drilling and epoxying is kind of after the fact.

>  If I put the rod in when the concrete is poured, do I
need  to have anything attached to the rod at the bottom to add
resistance to  being pulled out?

    J-bolts used to be the way to do it but you just  need something on the
end of the bolt to add some pull-out resistance. US  Towers uses a welded nut
at the bottom but you could use baack-to-back nuts  and not have to weld them.

>  What kind of rod should I use -  all-thread or something else?  It
looks like they need to be 4-5'  long, and I assume they should be
galvanized rod, yes?

    The first anchor rods that I got from Trylon were  pieces of rebar and
used rebar nuts to secure them. I was not impressed. Rebar  is made from scrap
metal and isn't particularly rated for strength. I didn't  trust the WIDE
threads on the rebar and had the nuts welded on for  safety.

    This is an engineering question. Regular old  all-thread may not be
strong enough.

>  Finally, where would I  find such bolts?  What kind of industry or
distributor might have  them locally?

Spec out what you  need and then make some phone calls. They're available -
you just don't know  what you need yet.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH