[TowerTalk] (Fwd) Re: Gotham antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] (Fwd) Re: Gotham antenna
From: wa3afs@inav.net
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 10:53:25 -0400
I bought one of the Gotham "gutless wonders" and installed it in November of
1978.

If I remember correctly, it was a vertical which I wanted to use to get on 160M
and I paid $29.95 (shipping
included!) for it.

Basically, it was a couple pieces of aluminum tubing (not very large diameter)
and a coil (air dux?) which
you used an aligator clip to vary the feed point.  Length was about 40 feet
(according to my log at the time)

I quickly mounted the vertical to a scrap piece of 4x4 post in the ground and
loaded it up......nada...lousy
SWR and could not hear a thing.... After scratching my head and replacing the
coax..somehow I decided
to check the resistance between the ungrounded antenna and ground.....oops! the
4x4 post had been
treated with some sort of wood preservative (called cuprinol!!!!!).  the post
actually conducted very well!

Mounted the antenna on a new post.  Added a short radial or two and proceded to
make a couple of
contacts within 200 miles or so.  My signal reports were 33.

A ham friend suggested that I put a top hat on it.  I obtained and cut some
hardware mesh and attached to
the top and put the vertical back up.  First gust of wind and the tubing
collasped.  That was the end of my
ever even thinking about the Gotham antennas.

That was the end of 160M until I tried the coaxial inverted Ls about 5 years
later and am still using coaxial
inverted Ls now (for 160M, 75M, 40M, and occassionally 20M).

--Bruce

I DO remember all those Gotham ads. But, curiously, I never actually
talked to anybody who actually was using one. Even in the 1950s,
Gotham prices seemed impossibly low. I always wondered if they worked
and how well they were constructed? And if nobody bought them, how did
the company pay for all those QST and CQ magazine ads? Jim W8ZR