[TowerTalk] Poor mans tension guage: correction

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Poor mans tension guage: correction
From: Chris Wendling <cpwendling@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:11:44 -0700 (PDT)
Sorry for the math error in my origianl post, when I hit the send key, the
light came on ;>).

  Doubling the tension does not double the frequency.  You need to  have 4
times the tension to double the frequency.  (There's a  square root in the
equation!!)

  So if you calibrate your poor mans guage to 100 lbs, it will measure  400 lbs
tension when the frequency is twice as high..  It's really  not as complicated
as it sounds. The frequency increases with the  square root of the tension.
Example: Increase the tension by 16 times,  and the frequency is increased 4
times.

  Of course, you could just calibrate it to 400 lbs to begin with, if you can
find 400 lbs to suspend!

  Chris-AI4MI