Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu GS-065 Thrust Bearing 25G installation - ***Addend

To: "R Atkins" <rusty_atkins@yahoo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu GS-065 Thrust Bearing 25G installation - ***Addendum ***
From: "Clint Talmadge" <unclebudd@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:55:53 -0500
A couple of notes after marking and drilling the top plate.

(1) I have an older Rohn top. It is slightly tapered with a small round plate
on top. Some of you may remember the old Cushcraft catalog which displayed all
their antennas on just such a top.  The center hole in the top plate is small
enough that none of my Thrust Bearing holes were in the center hole.

(2) Unless you just went out and bought yourself a new set drill bits, go to
Lowe's, the other HIW or your favorite tool distributor and buy yourself a new
drill bit, preferably one of the Kobalt or other high-end type.  The metal on
my top is HARD. I knew it when I rapped the center punch with a normal shot and
did not even leave a mark other than in the Painter's Tape. After center
punching the top, drilling went well, albeit slowly. I had to enlarge one hole
a bit as my marking may have been just a bit off.

(3) The bearing turns at least as well as the TB-3 it is replacing which was
broken when inspected it.  I still have a bit to get and do before the Bucket
Truck comes and I can finish this project.

Clint - W5CPT