Re: [TowerTalk] Stubs

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stubs
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:47:06 -0700
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:38:54 -0500, Gregg Seidl wrote:

>I always thought that the lower-loss cables have a deeper null.

Yes.

>I'm not sure why though.Maybe because the "Q" would be higher?

That's exactly right. The reason is that the stub works by putting a
short circuit on the line at the frequency that it's tuned to. The
lower the loss, the closer the value of the short is to zero ohms.
That's also why a single quarter wave length is better than 3/4
wave. And that's why the LMR-240 is not as good a choice as a big
RG11 or RG8.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC