Re: [TowerTalk] Tower mast question

To: towertalk@contesting.com, stargatesg1@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower mast question
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:27:28 EDT

In a message dated 7/19/2007 9:01:59 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Howdy all,
I am preparing to set up a  satellite station with
M2 2MCP22 and 436CP42UG antenna's.
The wind loads  are...

>  2MCP22    2.5 sq. ft.
436CP42UG   2.0 sq. ft.

>    I have a Glen Martin RT-424 (with  thrust bearing), 4.5' tall roof tower
that is rated
for 6 sq. ft. of  load at 87mph.
>  I will be mounting it on my deck as opposed to  the roof. (My climbing days
are over:-)
My deck is approximately 12' off  the ground on 6x6 posts and VERY sturdy.

>    I will be  using a Yaesu G-5500 rotor in a split configuration with
the AZ rotor  inside the tower and the EL rotor at the top of the mast.
I also will be  using a 8' fiberglass cross boom to mount the antenna's on.

>   Now that all of the prerequisite specifications are listed, here is  my
question....
>  What should I use for a mast? It will have to  be fairly long (15-20')
since
the
turning radius for the antenna's are  around 10' and I am worried about
it being so long that it will bend or  provide a fulcrum to damage the tower.

>  I live in a 75mph  wind zone.

    I'd suggest a 2" OD piece of steel tubing. Your  load isn't too big and
your windspeed rating is moderate so you probably don't  need anything special.

    Yes, you'll have a pretty good lever arm on the  tower so be sure to
over-engineer everything.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -