Re: [TowerTalk] Long Run rotor problems

To: "Tom Frenaye" <frenaye@hughes.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Long Run rotor problems
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:27:12 -0700 (PDT)
Tom Frenaye wrote:

>>On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 09:22:45 -0500, Gary Jones wrote:
>>
>>>I am looking for alternate solutions to get some more voltage out to the
>>> rotor motors.
>
> I have towers that are 450, 445 and 435 from the house to the rotator
> (T2X, Ham4, and Ham4 replaced by AlfaSpid).   I have had no problem using
> the large rotator cable from WB0W or DavisRF, other than the critters that
> chew once in a while.   You have heavier gauge cable than that. I do mount
> the rotator start capacitor at the tower.
>
> I agree with the suggestion to make sure it is a voltage at the rotator
> problem - it might be something else.
>
>            -- Tom

Since this issue has been brought up, I should mention that I recently
installed the first remote rotor control system from K7NV/Green Heron.
I have a modified version of the normal Green Heron controller in
the shack connected with CAT 5 wire to the remote box at the base
of the tower.  (Note: this is NOT a LAN connection, I am simply
using CAT 5 wire for convenience).

>From the base of the tower to the top, I run some Texas Towers
rotor cable (120 ft) with two 12 gauge and six 16 gauge wires.  Four
of the 16 gauge wires are paralleled to make a 10 gauge composite wire.
This is used for the common motor feed, and the 12 gauge wires are
used for the CW and CCW feeds to the prop pitch.  The other two
16 gauge wires go to the reed switch.  The remote box
requires 120VAC, which I have at the base of the tower anyway to
run the winch motor.

The workmanship of this system is way above average for ham equipment
and it works great.

Rick N6RK