Re: [TowerTalk] Radials, contd.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radials, contd.
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:25:54 +0000
If you were going to try the Y idea, it would be better to flip the Ys so you have two radials tapering into one. Here's why--in the near field, you have most of your return current and that is where you want more wire for lower resistance and more current return. Farther out it is not as critical. You could achieve this by putting down 60 1/8 lambda radials and ending them with a circle of wire, i.e. all your radials fanning out inside a wire circle. Then, attach 30 1/8 lambda radials to the circle to complete the distance, one to every other of the inside 60.

But, isn't this a lot of hassle for a ground system that may use almost as much wire and may or may not matter? Because you seem to be attempting a permanent, serious, and long term low band vertical effort with your 90 foot insulated tower, why not do it right all the way? I would spread the cost out by putting down 30 1/4 w/l radials, leaving space on the ring every other one, then a few years later when you can afford it, go back and fill in the spaces with another 30.

73,

rob / k5uj

By the way, on the subject of radials, I was in Home Depot a couple of days ago to see about renting some power tools and I discovered in their rental tool department, they had a small gas powered cable laying trencher available. if you do not want to lay your radials on the ground and let the grass grow over them, which is what I did, this little trencher might be the ticket. I don't recall what it cost to rent it for a full day--I think it was around 20 to 30 dollars.

My experience using a 3x3 foot grid as a ground screen
is somewhat analogous to your "Y radial" idea.
You often read that the ends of the radials must be spaced
less than so many wavelengths.  At 3 ft, my grid easily
meets this criterion.  However, I found that for proper
operation, I still needed 60 radials originating at the
vertical.  Thus the Y radials are unlikely to work as you
hoped.

Rick N6RK