[TowerTalk] Grounding of Residential Propane Tanks

To: "'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding of Residential Propane Tanks
From: "Larry Burke" <wi5a@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 17:18:46 -0500
I'm in the process of setting up a station, tower, etc at my new QTH in a
rural location. While bonding the shack ground to the utility entrance
ground I couldn't help but notice that the 500-gal propane tank, located
about 20 ft from the utility entrance ground, is not grounded. Furthermore,
it has no provisions for a ground lug. No hole, nothing. I asked the propane
distributor and he says he has never seen one grounded.

It would be relatively easy for me to drill the hole and run the wire to the
utility entrance. But I'm just curious if I am missing something here --
should the tank be grounded?

On a related note, the electricians bonded the hot water, cold water and
propane line together at each water heater.

Larry Burke WI5A
Brazoria County Texas