Re: [TowerTalk] RCA Spider web antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RCA Spider web antenna
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:51:00 -0400 (EDT)
Barry,

Its described on page 83 of the the 1937 Frank C Jones Radio Handbook.

The "RCA Spiderweb Antenna System" was one of the antennas that RCA marketed
for their pre-war shortwave radios.  The other shortwave radio manufacturers
marketed their own receiving antennas.  The RCA Spiderweb used five dipoles cut
for 49, 25, 16, 9 and 5 meters and fed with a twisted wire transmission line,
75 feet long (they emphasize the importance of not cutting the transmission
line!). The 49 meter dipole is loaded to reduce the total length of the antenna
to 37 feet,

Its not much different than today's more common parallel antennas.  In the RCA
Spiderweb, the feedpoints of the dipoles are separated vertically over a ten
foot span and the ends of the dipoles are relatively near each other. It
definitely has the appearance of a spiderweb!  Its primary advantange was
probably that that it could be supported by only two ropes.

Its kind of the opposite configuration of our typical parallel dipoles, where
the feedpoints are immediately adjacent to each other and the ends of the
dipoles are fanned outward.  In the RCA Spiderweb, the ends of the dipoles are
near each other and the wires are fanned out to feedpoints that are separated
by 10 feet.

I'd expect big problems trying to get this antenna to be an acceptable
transmitting antenna. Feeding the spaced dipoles with acceptable performance
will probably be a big headache. Receiving antennas are much more forgiving of
compromises than transmitting antennas!

73!
Frank
W3LPL