Re: [TowerTalk] 20 foot tower installation help

To: KC8DDQ@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 20 foot tower installation help
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 21:37:23 -0400
On Aug 16, 2007, at 12:18 AM, KC8DDQ@aol.com wrote:

> I'm getting ready to put up a 20 foot Rohn 25 tower. I was
> planning on pouring a 20"x20"x42" concrete base. I will be
> anchoring a Rohn base
> plate to the concrete with four 36 inch 3/4" galvanized all thread
> anchors
> set  in the concrete. The tower will be free standing.

This is not what the manufacturer recommends. See here:
http://www.radiancorp.com/ROHNNET/rohnnet2001/catalog/pdfs/25G/25G-1.pdf

Look at note #2 -- Fixed bases must be used, "Pinned" bases cannot be
used.

Here's the diagram of the fixed base:
http://www.radiancorp.com/ROHNNET/rohnnet2001/catalog/pdfs/25G/25G-2.pdf

Look carefully at the dimensions -- note that the recommended base is
FOUR FEET square, and four feet deep. Your 20"x20"x42" base is way
too small.

Even the standard base is 24"x24"x48":
http://www.radiancorp.com/ROHNNET/rohnnet2001/catalog/pdfs/25G/25G-4.pdf

Your proposed base is too small for any conceivable use of Rohn 25G.

--

There was a recent mini-article in QST where a guy discussed the use
of a 18" Sonotube to pour his tower foundation. The picture clearly

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901