Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45g on 45TG base

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45g on 45TG base
From: "N3PKC" <n3pkc@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:53:13 -0400
Steve K7LXC, thanks for the information.  I found several places ideal for the
tower where the ground is solid rock capable of supporting the tower base.  The
integrity of the rock at the ground level lead me to believe I'll have no
problem drilling a 3/4" hole for my pier pin directly into rock.  I will use a
small level to carefully grade the surface within the few inch radius around
the pier pin which actually bears the weight.

Total height will be 120', and I'm pouring the Rohn 3 guy anchor assembly in 4a
spec reinforced concrete blocks hopefully at the end of this week.  Luckily,
the guy anchor holes are so far diggable and boulder-free as of yet (fingers
crossed while digging)

Went to L.I. and got some estate antennas, including a 3el 20m yagi, 5el 6m
yagi, and 40m rotatable dipole.  I will put the 20m yagi to use as soon as
possible.  I'm keeping all the antennas, but I'm probably going to list the
some 25g (60'?) with a Glen Martin Hazer, tilt over base, and extra top section
on the online classifieds shortly, as I'm personally more comfortable climbing
around on 45g.

Two of the three radios and PC's (480hx, 910h, and ts2000) are up and running
remotely via hard wired Internet in the new shack.  Except for remotely
controlling the satellite equipment and rotators, Most of the remaining work
will be on the antennas, grounding, and towers.  Most of the hardline has been
run into the shack, with two direct LDF5 lines for UHF, and four Ameritron
RCS-8v remote switchboxes each fed with LDF4 and their own control line.  These
provide the flexibility I need in my antenna system, and enables me to change
radio/antenna configurations more easily.

...If and when I get caught up with this stuff I'll get cracking on the HyGain
Hy-Tower I got from the Sussex NJ hamfest.  I've had some verticals before and
will be curious to see how well this stands up to my R8 on 40 meters.  All I'll
need is to buy new base stubs, base insulators, and some concrete.  I've had a
lot of fun and success with verticals in the past and am hoping this one turns
out to be well suited for remote HF operation (no rotator), and possibly even a
little 80m dx...

Time is slipping by and the summer is almost behind us.  I'd better get to work!

Joe
N3PKC