Re: [TowerTalk] Crankup towers-- tiltover

To: "Mark Robinson" <markrob@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crankup towers-- tiltover
From: "Dan Hearn" <dhearn@air-pipe.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 21:03:11 -0700
I built them using 2 aluminum plates about 12-14 inches square. Rather than
using muffler clamps and their U bolts for boom and mast attachment I used 2
muffler clamp saddles opposite each other at each attachment position held
with carriage bolts. The heads are between the two plates. This allows the
plates to rotate against each other. Regular hex head bolts would snag
against each other. A single large bolt at the top of the plates is the
pivot point. I drilled 6 holes thru the 2 plates and when the beam is in
horizontal position I insert 6 bolts and use elastic stop nuts or double
nuts on each bolt. I am using one of the tilt heads on a 6 el 57ft boom 20m
yagi. It works great. Sorry I don't have a picture or sketch of this. I
should have mentioned that the holes where the carriage bolt heads rest were
filed to be square so the bolts don't turn. If this is not clear, will try
to answer any questions.
73, Dan, N5AR