Re: [TowerTalk] Lightening protection - HF-VHF-rotator

To: David Weiss <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightening protection - HF-VHF-rotator
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 07:43:10 -0700
David Weiss wrote:
> I would like to get some real world knowledge about the use of gas tube
> lightening protectors.  Some of the names out here are Polyphaser, Alpha
> Delta and DX engineering.  Some of the units are "multistrile" and some
> have replacable gasFET tubes.  I was suprised that some of the units are
> not weatherized as in the case of the Polyphaser unit flange mounted.

If you are using a remote antenna switch that feeds the control signal
or power up the coax, you need to make sure that your chosen protector
doesn't have a DC open in the thru path or a short to ground.  At W6VIO,
we have some suppressors not yet installed because they are incompatible
with the RCS-4 remote switches.

Jim, W6RMK