Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Windom with IC-737

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Windom with IC-737
From: "Mike, K6BR" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 17:23:46 -0700

I did not say I was happy with it Bill, the SWR on mine runs about 3:1, but
never below 2.5:1, even though this is the case the feed line losses are
still pretty low even at 2.5:1 with a Windom or so they claim.  With wet
weather my SWR climbs to almost 8:1 on 160 meters.  I would say it radiates
poorly on 160 meters anyway.  You do not want the ends close to anything
that will catch fire; there is plenty of voltage at the ends if you are
brave enough to put 1500 watts into it. I am speaking from experience
here:-)  by the way Reid is talking about an auto tuner not a good heavy
duty manual tuner.  If someone comes on the group and says they have a
Windom up and can tune it across all bands it is made for with an AT-500
then great go for it, but I would not go to the trouble of buying one and
putting it up and hope my ATU can tune it.

I have double Bazooka up for 80 meters and it out performs the Windom both
on DX and local on that band.  I have a Steppir 30/40 trombone on my 3
element and that easily out performs the Windom on 40 meters, which in my
opinion is the Windoms best band with lowest SWR.  But, having said all the
negative stuff, the Windom works pretty well for a non resonant antenna if
that's all you can get up and have a good tuner.

Mike