Re: [TowerTalk] 90 ft erection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 90 ft erection
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 06:35:38 -0500
> Wait a second.  I'm trying to understand exactly what it is that is so
> bad.

I have to agree.  As soon as I noticed the taught guy wires on either side
of the tower in the video, the critical comments here became suspect.
Raising a tower with a hinged base and two guy points 180 degrees opposed to
each other and perpendicular to the tower is not a new idea.  Their erection
fixture is too short, but it obviously didn't fail, whether by luck or
design we don't know.  They saved the cost and headaches of hiring a crane,
and can raise it and lower it repeatedly at their leisure and with no cash
outlay.

I am not saying these guys deserve OSHA's stamp of approval, but frankly if
everything we did required OSHA approval (or TowerTalk approval for that
matter) much less would get accomplished in the world.

The "eyeball engineer" in me would not try this myself, but the ONLY thing I
would change would be to make the initial lift point on the cable
substantially higher.

Mark, N5OT