Re: [TowerTalk] 90 ft erection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 90 ft erection
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 10:55:40 -0500
> Yes, there are guys attached to the tower but they are just hanging
> there with NO ONE hanging on to them.

Bzzt.

Look closely at the video (clip #2 between about 0:30 and 0:38) and you can
see three loose guy wires at the 70-80 foot height "just hanging there with
NO ONE hanging on to them."  BUT at the 50 foot height there are two taught
guys opposing each other obviously attached some distance away at points
similar to the height of the base hinge, and perpendicular to the tower
raising arc.  Granted the crew appears to have gotten one of these two guys
crossed up with the lift cable and either didn't figure it out or decided it
was not a problem.

> Sorry, I didn't see anyone doing anything
> with the guys in the video.

Right.  They're attached at points that don't require anyone to be doing
anything (besides keeping an eye on things) while they raise the tower.  My
guess is they would then attach the three guys from the 70-80' level, then
finalize whatever guying they were going to do at the lower levels after the
big forces are off the tower and someone has the cajones to climb the bottom
part of it with only one set of guys at 70-80 feet.

Mark, N5OT