Re: [TowerTalk] RG6

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RG6
From: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:52:39 -0400
I'm using it matched at 100W on a lot of antennas now, but I've heard
it can take a kilowatt matched.  I can't test that, I only run
barefoot.

It's lower loss than RG-8/X and about the same size... so besides
having less mass of metal that has to get warm before the cable melts,
I think it HAS to handle more power... less loss = less heat per cable
surface area.

It should also have better voltage handling than 8X because of
increased conductor spacing.  It probably is slightly WORSE than 8X at
handling  higher current than a matched condition...

It's worth a try.  A kilowatt with high SWR might cook it, but it's cheap ;-)

As far as connectors, I'd encourage you to go to Home Depot or
somewhere that carries *compression* connectors and check those out.
I like them MUCH better than crimp connectors.

73,
Dan