Re: [TowerTalk] It can be Done!

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] It can be Done!
From: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:32:07 -0400
Bill Turner wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 08:32:28 -0500, "Jim Miller"
> <JimMiller@STL-OnLine.Net> wrote:
>> Induced
>> voltages, YES.  The closest it would have been to any of the cables would
>> have been 50 yards and that in the house two houses up from me.
> ------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------
> Interestng story, but how do you know it was "induced voltages"?. A
> lightning strike could easily travel through 50 yards of earth looking
> to equalize the earth/air voltage difference even further, and your
> equipment unfortunately, was in the way. I'm not saying it wasn't
> "induction", just that simple conduction is an alternate possibility.
> Just wondering. I have no idea how to prove it one way or the other.
> Bill W6WRT
I get a kick out of the absolutes that I hear and read about lightning.
The onliest fact that I'm sure of is that with lightning, there are no
rules that can't be broken.  Lightning can and will get you, if it
decides you are worth getting!  I'm going to do everything I can to make
my site appear unpalatable to Thor, or whoever is responsible....If this
requires doing some weird dance in addition to a bunch of ground rods
tied to an SPG, so be it.  I'll do the dance.

Ken K4XL

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at and
FTP site info: login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr