Re: [TowerTalk] #2 solid or stranded for tower leg grounds

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] #2 solid or stranded for tower leg grounds
From: John Elsik <>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:24:57 -0600
Thanks for the info Gene.
With out having the tower, it is pretty difficult to decide exactly how I will
terminate the wire to the tower yet.
I will stay with the #2 solid.  Keep it simple.  I just want to get all the
ground work done soon.  I will leave plenty of slack for connection to the
John wa5zup

> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:28:04 -0500> From:> Subject: Re:
> [TowerTalk] #2 solid or stranded for tower leg grounds> To:;
>> > John:> > Most of us here on TT recommend your
> using solid rather than stranded #2. This will eliminate corrosion from
> between strands, maintaining the electrical properties of the grounding
> wire.> > As for connecting to the tower, you might consider connecting to the
> flat steel elements at the base of the tower using these model 213 clamps
> from Harger: . I use
> them to connect my shunt-feed wires and my coax shield ground wires to the
> flat elements of my Trylon tower. I also use their model 222T clamps
> to connect my ground
> wires to pre-drilled holes in the Trylon's legs.> > A final word of advice:
> You ought to connect your ground wires higher up along the tower than right
> atop the concrete b
 ase. This right-angle turn in the grounding path represents a greater
inductance to lightning energy than a gentle curve you get from connecting up
higher along the tower legs. You can protect this piece of ground wire with a
piece of garden hose that extends a few inches into the dirt and above the top
of the concrete base.> > 73 de> Gene Smar AD3F> > > From: John Elsik
<>> Date: 2007/09/13 Thu AM 09:29:00 CDT> To:> Subject: [TowerTalk] #2 solid or stranded for tower
leg grounds> > I acquired 250' of #2 bare copper and 15 ground rods left over
from a job at work. So that is a start on what I am using for my ground system
for a new LM-354HD crank up tower installation. Base is installed, waiting for
the concrete to cure. Tower is not here yet.> I have to get more wire and rods.
I have most of the exothermic one-shots, but of course, need more of them too.
I am pretty much committed to using #2 for everything.> The plan is to just
 l up the #2, for now, to each tower leg.> I have a choice of either #2 tinned
solid copper or #2 stranded for these pigtails. The one-shots should work with
either one by spec. At the moment, I am not sure how I will attach the fat #2
to the tower legs. I was thinking of using stranded for that because it would
be somewhat more flexible.> Is that a good idea, or should I just stay with the