Re: [TowerTalk] Whole House Surge Protectors

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Whole House Surge Protectors
From: <>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:37:53 -0400
Blake,  unfortunately it looks like you'll have to drink another beer just
for the replacement can.  Perhaps you can find a volunteer.  Lightning sure
does interesting things.  I certainly agree with N2IC's statement that
you're dreaming if you think you're protected with a few Polyphasers and a
well grounded tower.

John KK9A

From: N4GI
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 9:53:08 -0400

I have a ~100' piece of burried 1/2" hardline going from my metal bulkhead
to the base of the tower.  It's not connected to anything on the tower, nor
anything inside the shack.  I keep a beer can taped over the outside unused
to keep water out.  A monster EMP strike I took last week blew said beer can
apart, and scorched (melted) the outside connector.

I guess I need to put polyphasers on both ends of the unused coax and add
ground rods to the beer can so this doesn't happen again....

Blake N4GI