Re: [TowerTalk] GIN POLE RECOMMENDATIONS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] GIN POLE RECOMMENDATIONS
From: "K8RI" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:53:17 -0400

> Cheat et al,
>
> A year ago we were hoisting assembled sections of AB105 into place at NR4M
> using a special gin pole that Paul K4JA had crafted. Working at the 80
> foot
> level, a little too much lateral pull was placed on the hoisted tower
> section by the ground crew to keep it from getting hung up on the existing
> tower. The gin pole had been attached to the top foot and a half of the
> top
> existing vertical member. That vertical member folded over just below the
> bottom of the gin pole. Fortunately no-one was seriously hurt and we've

Many years ago I had something similar happen while trying to get the last
bit of reach out of a gin pole that wasn't quite long enough for the
commercial antenna I was trying to remove. Knowing better, but hoping for
the best I too had atached the pole to the upper leg of the tower instead of
below the first set of braces.  It was a windy day and the leg didn't just
fold, it broke off, with the gin pole and commercial repeater antenna
falling about 120 feet to the parking lot below. Fortunately when I saw it
was going to "go" I hollered, "RUN" and no one below stopped to question
why.

> since gone to building 105 piece by piece or assembling large sections and
> craning them into place.
>
> Since then we've rather wondered if the gin pole had been attached to the
> next vertical member down (that had diagonals attached) whether the
> diagonal
> would have proved enough additional support to keep it from folding over.
> The reason for attaching as we did was to get the most use of the 10 feet
> of
> gin pole.

The tower leg above the braces has only a small fraction of the strength of
a leg between the braces. Above the braces it is nothing more than a piece
of thinwall tubing, pipe, or angle, depending on the tower. Which ever it
is, it is far stronger between the braces. The AB105 is heavy and I believe
uses flat strap for diagonal and cross bracing. Still the angle above the
brace is nothing more than a piece of angle with the braces playing no part
in the strength.

73

Roger (K8RI)