Re: [TowerTalk] Extending a concrete base?

To: towertalk reflector <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Extending a concrete base?
From: Jim Rhodes <>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:32:38 -0500
There are chemical "treatments" that are supposed to enable bonding
between new and old concrete. I think that they are some type of acid
that etches the surface to bond to the new concrete. If I was doing
this I would probably dig around the sides of the old base so that
the "cap" was larger and went down the sides of the old pour a few
inches so as to provide a better "seal".

At 01:27 PM 9/24/2007, Paul Kelley N1BUG wrote:
>If I clean (wire brush?) the top of the existing concrete, build a
>wood form around it and simply pour another few inches of concrete
>on top, will I be helping or making matters worse? I am wondering if
>the new concrete will adhere to the old stuff adequately, or if
>water may tend to get in between old and new layers (where it would
>no doubt freeze and cause bigger problems).
>I have worked with concrete quit a bit, but have never poured new on
>top of old. Any advice would be appreciated.
>Thanks & 73,
>Paul N1BUG
>TowerTalk mailing list

Jim Rhodes K0XU

Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.