[TowerTalk] Screw-in anchor experience

Subject: [TowerTalk] Screw-in anchor experience
From: "Patrick Barkey" <>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 17:53:12 -0600
I wonder if there are any TT'ers on here with experience with installing
anchors in rocky soil.

I just had the power company put in six anchors.  12 inch helix, 3/4 inch
They had a big boom truck for the job, and plenty of experience.

Their drive head had a whole bunch (15-20) of shear pins.  When those broke,
they said, the anchor had full holding power.

You guessed it, in the rocky soil here in MT, the pins broke on every one of
them.  Some of the anchors are in only 5 feet, with 3 feet exposed.

I will check with AB Chance tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone else on
list has any experience with this kind of situation.

  - Pat