[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [TowerTalk] Kellems'

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Kellems'
From: "Mike Kelley" <>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 08:12:56 -0700
List-post: <>

You should be able to find a grip at an electrical wholesale house or
online.  With that said I will add my two cents worth on Kellem Grips
for pulling wire.  I am an industrial electrician and I have found that
these are more trouble than they are worth.  The major electrical
utility here in California uses them all of the time for pulling wire
and a friend of mine watched them get the whole rig stuck in the middle
of a conduit run only to spend about a day and a half trying to pull it
back out.  In the end they used good old electrical tape.  

I would suggest overlapping your new cable with your old cable a couple
of feet and taping very tightly with some good electrical tape.  Stretch
the tape as you wrap.  (3M Tartan Electrical Tape works great for this)
I think you will be surprised at how strong this connection is.  The
joint is relatively thin and very flexible allowing it to pass through
your pulley.

Hope this helps!

Mike, K6AJ


Trying to locate a jr. Kellem grip for pulling wire rope. Need to attach
new 3/16" stainless cable to rusted 3/16" galv cable.  Rusty cable has
been out in wx for 10 years and want to replace with ss cable through
two 5" pulleys at the top of my 170 foot ssv tower. I just don't want to
make a trip to the top when a pull from the bottom would be much easier
to rethread the new cable.

Anyone have one of these?


Bob W3GH

TowerTalk mailing list


TowerTalk mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>