Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring coax loss with MFJ-259B

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring coax loss with MFJ-259B
From: Steve Maki <steve@oakcom.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 18:50:36 -0400
Pete,

This is perfectly normal behavior - I sweep feedlines on a regular basis
  with Anritsu Sitemasters, and usually use (highest peak + lowest
valley)/2 as my cable loss value. A short (instead of an open) at the
far end gives slightly smoother readings for some reason, but it still
always looks like a roller coaster. Impedance bumps in the line (UHF
connectors, etc.) cause the effect to get much worse. I'll leave it to
Jim Lux and/or others to give you the formulas, but it's related to line
lengths and impedance translations on imperfect lines.

In order to see increasing loss with frequency, you have to sweep over a
much larger frequency range.

73,
Steve K8LX