Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Support

To: richard@karlquist.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Support
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 17:27:20 -0700
Rick Karlquist wrote:
> FWIW, I have been using 80 lb cement umbrella
> stands for my 30 ft antenna supports.  They
> are self supporting (in zero wind) long enough
> to get guy ropes tied.  I move them with a wheelbarrow,
> instead of trying to carry them with handles.
> They only cost ~$12.  Why make your own?
>
> Rick N6RK

I use orange traffic cones to hold up 20+ foot fishing rods with wires.

They work fine with something light, but crumple with something heavier
(like a 6BTV)

If you need to do multiple supports, something that stacks or expands
would be nice.  I saw a sort of big aluminum tripod that holds up a
sprinkler that would be very nifty for this sort of thing.  It has about
a 6 foot wide base and is about 4-5 ft tall, but the tubes are pretty
small (1/2"-3/4" diameter).  Collapsed down to a small bundle about 4-6"
in diameter. It would be great to hold something 30-40 ft tall in low
wind (especially with a shot bag or sand bag on the base)

If you want to spend some money (or get good ideas to build for
yourself), check out the kinds of things they use to hold lights and
stuff on movie sets. C-stands, hi-rollers, etc., and tons of shot bags.
  I'd love to have a fully loaded location shoot grip truck to do field
day with.