Re: [TowerTalk] Skyhawk, KT36XA, opinions requested

To:,"Robert G. Strickland" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Skyhawk, KT36XA, opinions requested
From: Gene Smar <>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 19:04:52 -0500 (CDT)

     I installed my Skyhawk (my first Yagi) on my Trylon tower (my first tower)
in 2001.  I decided on the Skyhawk based on the good review it received in
Steve and Ward's booklet, "HF Tribander Performance - Test Methods and
Results."  Its test measurements were near the top in all categories.  Plus,
its bandwidth per band was very broad - below 2:1 for all of 20 and 15 and from
28 to 29 MHz.  I didn't want an antenna where I had to decide for which portion
of the band to set the element lengths.

     The Yagi went together very easily (I actually enjoyed the entire
process.)  When I hung it on top of the tower it played as advertised.  I can
usually break most casual pileups with one call, for what that's worth.

    I also use the Skyhawk as a top hat loading element for my tower on 160M
and 80M.  I shorted the parasitic elements to the boom with aluminum straps and
see no distortion of pattern or degradation of SWR performance.  F/B is still
good although I have not measured it myself.  I have also used the Skyhawk plus
tuner to make Q's on 17 and 12M.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

     From: "Robert G. Strickland" <>
Date: 2007/10/07 Sun PM 04:42:23 CDT
Subject: [TowerTalk] Skyhawk, KT36XA, opinions requested

I'm thinking of replacing my quad with either a Skyhawk or M2's KT36XA
[reasons available on request]. I would appreciate any comments on these
two antennas, or suggestions for some other tribander of comparable
performance/quality. I don't need 17/12m capability except via an antenna
turner, although the ability of either antenna to be "forced" to operate on
these bands might be a consideration. I am especially focused on
durability, both electrical and mechanical. The antenna will be on top of a
60ft tower in a so-so location [ie, location may wash out any subtle
performance differences]. Email via the list or directly. Thanks in advance.

. At 10/07/2007 13:02, you wrote:

Robert G. Strickland PhD ABPH - KE2WY
Syracuse, New York  USA