Re: [TowerTalk] How tall is that tower?

To: "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How tall is that tower?
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:18:11 -0400
From: "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr@arrl.net>
To: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Cc: <towertalk@contesting.com>; "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2007 8:08 AM

> On Aug 2, 2007, at 1:43 PM, jeremy-ca wrote:
>
>> I KNOW how to convert when I have to but I have absolutely no
>> intention of
>> doing it in relation to something on a ham forum that is 99%
>> oriented to USA
>> members.
>
> For antennas, I've taken to thinking of antenna height solely in
> meters. For any horizontal antenna, the key dimension is the height
> above ground in wavelengths -- and it's hard to judge wavelengths
> from heights given in feet.

I thought this this ancient thread died off over 2 months ago.
If your idea works for you then use it.

However I grew up as a teenager in the 50's with the ARRL Handbook and
dimensions were in feet and inches for antenna lengths. Anyone can do the
math in their head for the traditional 5 bands since its all multiples of 8'
for antenna height purposes and it doesnt require a calculator to figure out
15M.

Carl
KM1H