Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L for 160 Meters

To: Tom Crothers <>,TowerTalk Reflector <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L for 160 Meters
From: Lee Buller <>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:42:49 -0700 (PDT)

Very interesting 160 discussion going here.  I also use something similar, but
use my tower to pull up about 60 feet of wire...then slope it down to a tree in
the front yard over the house.  The key is "the radials- counterpoise - etc"  I
used about 20 wires on the ground (and they do self bury quite nicely) in a
half-moon configuration beceause I did not have a way to run them through the
house (YL gets pissed when I do that).

Works pretty darn good.  I made my length about 140 feet and then use a simple
L/C tuner to make it look good to the radio.  Actually, it is a little to long
and resonates around 1750 instead of 1800.  You will find that the more
radials/counterpoise you put down the bandwidth seems to get narrower....but
you get better radiation.

I've also used a couple of "raised" wires coming off the ground side of the
tower and run then along the wood fence.  Elevated radials seem to affect the
antenna but I cannot remember off had why.

Lee - K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find
any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is
Common Sense divine?