[TowerTalk] Was Guyed vs. free-standing, now aluminum towers

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Was Guyed vs. free-standing, now aluminum towers
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 12:13:25 EDT
In a message dated 10/16/2007 2:48:49 P.M. Greenwich Standard Time,
finger@goeaston.net writes:

I had a  9-50 up for years with a KT34A on top.  Moved it once to a new
location.  Tower was okay but won't last "forever" as the bolt holes  at
the leg junctions elongate over time and sections become  useless

Same experience here.  I had two aluminum towers, one from Heights and  one
from Universal.  Both developed "eggholes".  I also found and  sold several
aluminum towers with the same problems.

Past opinion on this reflector was "do not drill out the eggholes and
replace them with larger bolts".  The solution to counter the egghole
development
was to guy these usually self supporting towers.  That was also  a thumbs down
on this reflector.

One other caveat...be careful how tight you tighten the bolts on the
aluminum tower.  If you tighten them like you would normally tighten  Rohn
45/55, it
will be very challenging to get them apart since the aluminum  bends together.
 This, coupled with oxidation from the joint makes taking  them apart "fun".
You can't hammer and beat the sections apart like Rohn  45/55.  If you do,
plan on making a trip to the local welder.  Or  worse, to your local scrap
metal
dealer.

As always, YMMV.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS