Re: [TowerTalk] Figuring degrees of a coax line

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Figuring degrees of a coax line
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 07:29:08 -0400 (EDT)
Tom,

Unless your 50 ohm phasing lines are terminated in 50 ohms (unlikely in any
practical phased array), they will not produce the desired phase delay.  The
same applies for 75 ohm lines and 75 ohm terminations.

Transmission lines that are any multiple of 1/4 wavelength are immune from this
problem; however, transmission lines of  84 and 71 degrees will produce delays
that are highly dependent on VSWR.  Its not worth the effort to accurately
calculate the physical length of lines when
VSWR will ruin the calculated phase delay through the lines.

This variable delay effect in mis-terminated transmission lines can be
easily demonstrated on an dual trace oscilloscope, with one trace
displaying the signal generator output and the other trace displaying the
signal at the output of the transmission line.  As you vary the transmission
line termination impedance, you'll see the delay through the line vary
dramatically.

You can calculate the physical length of your line (in inches) using:

11803/fMHz  X  Vf  X  degrees/360

But don't waste your time...    It won't work!

73!
Frank
W3LPL