Re: [TowerTalk] Shorty 40

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shorty 40
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:51:43 -0700

I've always liked the Moxon performance features (broad bandwidth, great
F/B, smaller turning radius), and even considered buying the OptiBeam
OB2-40M for a while until I decided to stick with the lower cost and
slightly narrower pattern of the standard OB2-40.  The Leeson design is
also very interesting, particularly since the weight balance of the
cross members might preclude the need for the outer trusses used on the
OptiBeam version.  But Cebik's material on Moxons on his website
indicate that the coupling between elements is quite critical, so I'm
wondering how consistent that would be for the Leeson version in a wind
where the elements wouldn't necessarily move together.  It seems like
you'd almost want to run a fiberglass rod or something between the front
and rear cross elements, trimming as necessary for whatever effect that
had on the coupling.

In any case, I'd be interested to hear how they work.

73,
Dave    AB7E