Re: [TowerTalk] Top loading HF-6V for 160

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Top loading HF-6V for 160
From: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 00:47:40 -0400
"Somewhere I have the modeling data which shows a
modest improvement in radiation resistance when the top-hat wire is
horizontal (as compared to sloping),  but it's not a make or break
difference.
"

It's make or break for a 34 foot vertical on 160 I think, based on
another look at the model.

34 foot vertical with 4 straight top loading wires 60 feet long,
resonant 1.75 MHz, 5.6 ohms.

34 foot vertical with 4 60 foot sloped down 30deg is resonant around
1.8MHz, 1.4 ohms, which is about the same as the radiation resistance
of the base loaded version.

There's probably still a benefit over a very good ground system when
you consider the low loss nature of the cap hat wires vs. a coil of a
Q of a few hundred, which is going to have a loss resistance of  a few
ohms (you need about +j920 to resonate)

Dan